Thursday, March 31, 2011

Surf and Turf

The time I look forward to the most during the week is Thursday at 8:01 p.m. That's because at 8:01 p.m. I finish class for the day. I'm at school on Thursday's from 10 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. I may not be in class the whole time, but being in that stuffy awful building all day sure does take its toll on me. Especially when I'm eating turkey wraps in tin foil and scathing over my closing statement for trial class. So I decided tonight I was in dire need of an amazing meal (and my poor blog could use some attention too!) I don't have class on Fridays, so this was the perfect night to unwind with an amazing dinner, have myself a glass or two (or five) of wine, and FINALLY finish watching Season 3 of The Wire (Stringer just got shot!!!!!!!) Whoops spoiler alert.

So if you're going to cook, you might as well go all-out, so I decided a three-course meal was in full swing. I knew I wanted to make a scallop dish so I decided on provençal because I had never made it before and I wanted to try. THEN I saw the price of the scallops...I cannot afford a pound...but half a pound isn't enough. Then a stroke of genius: surf and turf. The top rib-eye was fairly affordable for a thinner cut and that, along with the scallops and the pasta made for a complete dish. Who would thought: a full dinner, home cooked, with scallops, for under $20? Not me that's for sure.

With finals coming up, I probably won't be eating like this. But lately, after watching Top Chef, and Marcel's Quantum Kitchen, and all the other numerous amazing cooking shows, I seem to be really regretting my life choices. I'm not sure if law school is the best choice for me, but I seem to be fairly good at my trial class. But I can't shake the feeling that I might be meant for something else. I guess this is just growing pains, I mean, I'm already through almost 2 years of law school, so I might as well finish right? I think it might also be the legal market right now, things aren't looking up that readily and sometimes it's hard to see the silver lining. But the nevertheless, I will remain law student/home cook/dinner party hoster for as long as I can, until I figure out what's really right for my life. Stay tuned and keep your bellies full!
little crabbies filled with goodness that i found at the grocery store on my way to get the scallops...yum!
Surf and Turf:
now playing: Top Chef All-Stars Season Finale...again...I love Richard Blais
now drinking: 2009 Oregon Pinot Gris and then 2009 La Patache Medoc
inspired by: Ina Garten and of course Richard Blais
Scallops Provençal
serves 2
Ingredients:
1/2 pound 10-20 count fresh sea scallops
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
all-purpose flour a little bit
4 tablespoons or 1/2 stick unsalted butter, divided into 1 and 3 tablespoons
1/2 cup chopped shallots
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 cup fresh parsley minced
1/3 cup dry white wine (i used the Pinot Gris that i was drinking with dinner)
1 lemon (for later)

For the scallops: Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper, toss with flour, and shake off the excess flour. In a very large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter over high heat until sizzling and add the scallops. Slightly lower the heat to medium and allow the scallops to brown lightly on each side. For the first side, let cook about 2 minutes, then turn and brown lightly on the other side. This should take 3 to 4 minutes total. Melt rest of the butter in the pan with the scallops, then add the shallots, garlic, and parsley and saute for 2 more minutes, tossing the seasonings with the scallops. Use a spoon for this process and tilt the pan so that the liquid goes to one side then just spoon it over the scallops. Add the wine and cook for 1 additional minute, and taste for seasoning. Serve hot with a squeeze of lemon. 
Rib-Eye (Thin Cut)
Ingredients:
2 6 oz. pieces of boneless rib-eye cut (strip steak or top sirloin would work too)
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter

For the steak: Marinate the steaks in the olive oil, salt, and pepper for about 30 minutes. Take them out, score (make little slanted slices) fat (the white marbly part) to held the fat render while it cooks. Heat pan that you cooked scallops in (with caramelized butter already on bottom) and add a little bit of olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Let the butter melt and get hot, then add the steaks and cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes for medium rare. Then let the steaks sit for about 5 minutes so the juices won't run out. 
Whole Grain Spaghetti
Ingredients:
1/3 package whole grain spaghetti...yes...i usually make my own...but this time it was late...please don't judge
1 tablespoon fresh parsley

For the spaghetti: Boil spaghetti according to directions, then strain, and toss with leftover sauce from scallop dish. Add a little bit of freshly grated nutmeg and parmesan cheese. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment