Thursday, May 19, 2011

Crab Cakes

 This is a recipe I made a little bit ago that I've been meaning to share, but just haven't gotten around to it. Finals really kicked my ass this semester and I've continued to hate law school more and more as the days go on. But nevertheless, this blog helps keep hope alive that I'll actually be employed as an attorney when I graduate. I love this recipe because even though the ingredient list looks scary, its extremely simple and its a one fell swoop type of dish to prepare. Everything in one bowl, one mix, and you're ready to go. Normally you would use the crab meat out of the shells, but 1) who really has time for that, and 2) who's really actually going to do that? None of my friends for sure. In fact, I'm pretty sure even I'm afraid of soft shell crabs. They're weird. 
On a different note, in about 10 days I move to New York for the summer! YAY! I can't wait to experience my love of food on a much more grandiose scale and I'm so glad Sehrish will be there this summer to help me eat my way through New York. First stop - David Burke's Townhouse...AMAZING. THEN a round of ice cream at the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck, followed the next day by a lovely French bistro meal at Lyon. So you'll definitely be seeing lots and lots of restaurant reviews (maybe some cooking...but in my tiny little kitchen, on my tiny little budget don't know if that will happen too often). But stay tuned...next up a great summer sangria recipe. And if you have any NYC food suggestions...shoot them my way! 

Crab Cakes
pair with: sangria (sangria recipe coming soon)
Ingredients:
1 pound crabmeat, i use the fresh kind in the jar
3 scallions (green and white parts) finely chopped
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 finely chopped bell pepper
1/3 cup emulsified mixture of olive oil and mustard (more or less depending on how wet/dry your mixture is)
1 egg
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ground ginger
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
flour for brushing
oil for cooking


In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients and make a clumpy mixture. Form little patties about that are about 2-2 1/4 inches in diameter. Dust lightly with flour. Heat about 1/3 cup oil (your preference) in a skillet over medium heat. When oil gets hot, carefully place cakes onto skillet and pan fry until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Flip cake over and fry the other side for same, about 4-5 minutes. Carefully prop cake onto its side and roll the cakes' sides around the hot skillet for about 30 seconds-1 minute. Serve on a bed of spinach/field greens tossed lightly with balsamic vinaigrette, and squeeze a little lemon juice on top. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment