|another cupcake army to add to my infantry.|
for the cake (original recipe here):
1 3/4 cups cake flour
1 cups sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter, diced, at room temperature
1/2 cup milk, divided
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 vanilla bean seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
for the frosting:
2 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350℉
1. To make the cupcakes, line a cupcake pan with liners, set aside. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into a metal bowl.
2. Add the butter and 1/4 cup of milk. Mix on medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth, about 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
3. In another bowl, blend the eggs, egg white, remaining 1/4 cup milk and vanilla. Add to the batter in 3 additions, mixing for 2 minutes on medium speed after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl in between additions.
4. Fill cupcake liners about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full, and bake for 15-20. Remove when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
5. To make the frosting, in a medium bowl, sift together the confectioners' sugar and cocoa, and set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter until smooth, then gradually beat in sugar mixture alternately with evaporated milk. Blend in vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. If necessary, adjust consistency with more milk or sugar. Fill piping bag and pipe frosting onto cool cupcakes.