Sunday, January 30, 2011

Triple-Chip Pancakes


so sorry for the inferior quality of these photos...my battery was dying and i have tons of work to do today!

Today is the first morning this semester where I have legitimately had the chance to sleep-in. And even at that...I only slept until 10. Which I guess is late enough, but this week has been so stressful I needed to de-stress my early wakeup today, so I decided to whip up some pancakes and some migas (they're no Cisco's style, but they were still delicious). 

And what's the number one thing on my list for Sunday brunch: chocolate chip pancakes...of course. But I had some white chocolate and peanut butter chips also that I wanted to get rid of, so I decided to drop them in there and see how it tasted. Definitely an A+ idea. Also, I don't like it when my pancakes are dense and heavy, so I decided to beat the egg whites first and then fold them in so I would have lighter, fluffier pancakes. Superb idea. And the addition of the cocoa powder gave them a less pancakey taste and more of a rich taste which was nice. So, the next time you have an hour on a Sunday morning, whip these pancakes up! They'll be a perfect start to your Sunday. 

Triple-Chip Pancakes
now playing: David Bowie - Low
now drinking: french-press coffee
inspired by: the love of Sunday brunch

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
a pinch of cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup milk
2 large eggs, separated
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
extra butter for pan

1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and spices. In a small bowl, combine milk, egg yolks, and 3 tablespoons melted butter; add to flour mixture, whisking until smooth.
2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until stiff. Gently fold into batter. Gently fold in all chip morsels.
3. Melt a little bit of butter onto a hot pan. Ladle about 1/4-cup batter for each pancake onto hot pan. Cook pancakes for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Turn and cook the other side. Repeat. Top with powdered sugar or agave maple syrup and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment