Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Braised Beef Short Ribs

 Mondays I usually have class from 10 am - 6:30 pm...I mean, yes, I have a break from 11-3 but still, being at school that long is really hard. However, due to some impending inclement weather, they cancelled school starting at 3 yesterday! YAY! So I left school, stopped at the grocery store to get some "staples" to prepare for the weather, and when I was in the beef aisle, I saw these wonderfully delicious little short ribs. So I thought, hey, I have time, let's braise up some short ribs.

Now, this was my first time making short ribs, and to be honest, I think it was a success. It was a little stressful at first because I had the pot on too hot so it was smoking, and I definitely think I got some oil burns, but it was definitely worth it. Some people don't sear the beef beforehand, but I think it helps with a nice finish. I didn't sear it fully because parts were getting too brown (again, hot pan) but it came out really nice. And I also took some creative liberties with this recipes, so I don't exactly remember everything I put into it but this is the gist. And today we have another SNOW DAY!! So tonight is going to be part 2 of snow day recipe extravaganza. Stay tuned. 

Braised Beef Short Ribs
now playing: the wire season 1
now drinking: 2005 napa valley cabernet sauvignon
inspired by: snow day recipes part 1


Ingredients:
8 4 oz. pieces bone-in beef short ribs
1 tablespoon olive oil
sea salt
black pepper
4 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, pureed in blender or food processor
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
2 cups organic or homemade chicken stock
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon all spice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons worcestershire
2 tablespoons orange juice


Preheat oven to 275℉


1. Pat beef dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a dutch oven or 3- to 5-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown beef on all sides, turning with tongs, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and reserve. 


2. Add chopped onion to pot and cook until brown but not caramelized, then add carrots and garlic and cook for about 1-2 more minutes,  stirring occasionally. Stir in puréed tomatoes, and cook for about 5 minutes. Then add wine, stock, herbs, spices, worcestershire, orange juice, and lemon zest, and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Reduce to simmer and let simmer for about 10 minutes. 


3. Skim fat or any impurities from surface, then add beef along with any juices accumulated on plate and cover pot with a tight-fitting lid. Transfer to oven and braise until beef is very tender, 2-3 hours. After the first hour, reduce heat in oven to 250℉.


4. Once the braised is finished, remove from oven and place back onto stove. Strain half the liquid into a small saucepan and reduce until thickened. Reserve the other half of the braising liquid in the same dutch oven or pot and leave beef inside to stay warm. Once the sauce reduces, serve over the short ribs. The beef should be so tender it easily pulls away from the bone. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment