Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Soft Pretzels

April is a glorious month that brings all good things: amazing concerts (M83, The Black Keys, Florence + the Machine), my birthday, the official end of my last semester of law school, and National Soft Pretzel Month! In honor of this auspicious (??) holiday, I decided to ditch Auntie Anne's and make my own doughy version. I used this recipe from Alton Brown, and as soon as they came out of the oven, I took one (while it was still burning hot) and covered half in Kerrygold butter and dipped the other half in salted caramel sauce. The recipe is incredibly easy, but time-consuming, as long as you have the right tools and space. The result: they didn't last more than 10 minutes. 

Salted Caramel Sauce


Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
5 tablespoons salted butter (the better quality, the better sauce)
3/4 cup heavy cream (I only had Silk French Vanilla Creamer...so I used it...and it was awesome, but generally I would advise using heavy cream)
a few sprinkles fleur de sel


In a large saucepan, dissolve sugar over low-medium heat until amberish brown in color, while, stirring sugar while it melts by swishing the saucepan around. Once it reaches the copper color, add butter all at once and stir until dissolved. Whisk in heavy cream making sure to whisk the whole time. At this point the mixture will foam up but keep whisking until it becomes a smooth sauce. This can be stored in the fridge for about a week, if it gets too thick just heat it very gently to get it to liquid consistency again. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment